Main switch board under stairs by only exit (fire exit)

Dan L
Answers: 0

Main switch board under stairs by only exit (fire exit)

Post by Dan L »

So I was asked to give advise on location of a main switchboard on a job before insralled

The engineer chose location and the builder is pushing for it.

I'm the inspector

Thoughts on compliance

They pushing to have main switchboard installed in this cupboard under stair or small room

The main switchboard is for landlord meter and supplies 6 units db with own meters in units

The door to outside us also the only exit / fire exit

As its not exempt by being a single domestic installation I think it must meet requirements of 2.9.2.2 Accessibility and emergency exit facilities

"Openings or doorways that are at least 0.75 m wide by 1.98 m high to
allow persons necessary access to the switchboard room or enclosure.

Doors of switchrooms, or other rooms dedicated to switchboards, shall
open in the direction of egress without the use, on the switchboard side of
the door, of a key or tool"

( i assume its at least a switchroom)

2.9.2.5 Restricted locations

(h) Fire exits and egress paths Switchboards shall be located or
arranged to minimize the impact of any smoke generated from a fault
in the switchboard affecting egress from the building.

A switchboard shall not be installed within a fire-isolated stairway,
passageway or ramp.
A switchboard may be installed within a cupboard, or similar
compartment, in other forms of required exit, or in any corridor,
hallway, lobby or the like leading to such an exit, provided that the
cupboard or compartment doors are sealed against the spread of
smoke from the switchboard.

If it's a cupboard it will not comply as unused space etc, so if it was made so it has no unused space still by fire exit

If it's a small room I think door too small and have to open out the way but is not possible to open outwards as will block main exit door

Idea to comply?

1- no door on room and smokeproof enclosure but they want a door

2- If they make it into a compliant cupboard with no unused space in smoke proof enclosure with a fold down cover for looks

3- install on other side of small room outside the building completely

Any thoughts?

Is there a compliant way to have the main switchboard in that small room with door opening inwards by only fire exit?

Or am I way off here?

Advice appreciated
AlecK
Answers: 5

Re: Main switch board under stairs by only exit (fire exit)

Post by AlecK »

First-up; the location of MSB isn't really part of an Inspector's functions under ESR 70.
How the mains wiring is installed is, also the main earthing system; but location of switchboards and internal wiring of switchboards isn't; because it's not "mains work" so not classed as high risk PEW.

But that doesn't mean we can't offer advice (whether asked for or not)

-----------------

IMO; if the door to the space can be opened inward than it's not a cupboard.
A swbd in cupboard must meet all the listed conditions; including being at front of the (separate) swbd section.
That simply won't allow cupbd door to open inward

So it's a room; and 2.9.2.2 applies; and door must open outwards, with compliant door-latch, and be of minimum size.

-----------------------

Whether the space is part of a "fire-isolated stairway / passageway / ramp" is the next question.

Fire separations of buildings are one of the "specified systems" set by the Building (Specified Systems, Change the Use, and Earthquake-prone Buildings) Regulations 2005.
And, after completion, they must be regularly inspected by independent qualified persons as part of the Building Warrant of Fitness system.
Any later change to these systems requires building consent.
As such, they will be fully detailed on the plans and in the building consent documents.

Therefore it'll be fairly obvious from plans where fire-doors are being installed, and whether there's a fire separation between the stairway and other areas.
I would expect that under current Building Code, for a stairway that serves more than one apartment, it will be fire-isolated.
The walls will have specified (fire resistance rating (FRR); and any doors will be fire doors - including the door to the room with the switchboard.
If that door is a fire door; then the room isn't in the same fire-separation as the corridor / stairway.
(which by definition puts the space outside the stairway fire zone).

If the answer WRT 'fire isolated / passageway / ramp' is "yes" then the swbd simply can't go there.
If answer is "no", then the stairway is still an exit path.
A swbd in a cupboard can be on an exit path; but may need to be of different construction.
Or have close-fitting cupboard doors to keep any smoke inside.

-----------
Whether it's OK to have a door (either cupboard or room) opening into the egress path is a matter for Building Code; not something Wiring Rules can deal with.
Might be acceptable if hinged on the "upstream" side of exit flow, so that anyone going past would tend to close the door; but I'm not an expert on that sort of thing. I would expect it would be relevant to getting Building Consent; so changing it from consented plans won't be simple; even if it can be done at all.

-------------

I don't believe the close proximity of a fire exit is directly relevant; except it confirms the stairway is an egress path.
Dan L

Post by Dan L »

Thanks that makes sense.

While on the subject if it was not a switchboard but just a meter in an enclosure I assume that would not have to comply with these requirements as not a switchboard so could go in the room ot potentially a cupboard as long as it met network requirements

"The enclosure shall be installed in a position where it can be easily checked, maintained and
replaced i.e. in an outside position in/on an exterior wall of the dwelling or associated garage or
other outbuilding.
No permanent obstructions such as walls, fence, trees or bushes shall be placed in front of,
beneath or adjacent to the metering enclosure such that they obstruct, or have the potential to
obstruct, clear unrestricted access.
In other circumstances where the premises are located within restricted areas closed off to the
general public, arrangements for access for routine maintenance or emergencies shall be
made with the electricity retailer and distributor prior to supply being connected.
Existing installations do not need to comply with this requirement unless major upgrades or
meter/switchboard relocations are being under taken.
In all cases consideration has to be given to the separation of other services.
AlecK

Post by AlecK »

As far as Wiring Rules are concerned; yes.
As far as Building Code; Clause G9 is satisfied by compliance with Wiring rules (as certified by an ESC).

I assume the particular requirement you've quoted is from your local network's requirements (network connection standard or similar).
The details may vary slightly between different networks.
Dan L

Post by Dan L »

You say location is not part of inspection but what about person connecting can they be liable under (a)

"73A Before connecting installations to power supply
(1) Before connecting to a power supply a low or extra-low voltage installation or
part installation on which prescribed electrical work has been done, the person
doing the connection must—
(a) be satisfied that the installation or part installation is safe to connect;

Or can they rely in good faith on the documentation and its on the electrician.?

What I want to know if I'm the inspector and livening agent can I be held accountable for location of switchboard?

Will always inform electrician of any non compliance I see regardless
AlecK

Post by AlecK »

I agree that a person carrying out inspection has a moral obligation to provide advice to installers, even for matters outside the strict limits of the high risk PEW they have been contracted to inspect.
Energy Safety (Worksafe) have made it clear that they see Inspectors as having a mentoring role in addition to the requirements of ESRs.
However it's only a moral obligation.
There's nothing in ESRs that makes the provision of advice mandatory; nor does the installer have to take any notice of such advice.
Especially if they haven't asked for it.
When it comes to non-compliance; if it doesn't relate to the HRPEW being inspected, it's not relevant to issuing the RoI.
The only official action an inspector can take in such a case is to lodge a complaint to EWRB.
Things that are immediate hazards, discovered while undertaking the PEW of inspecting, must be reported to owner & worksafe as per ESR 19.

It's hard to see how the location of MSB would be a matter that would make the installation not safe to connect.

The responsibilities for a person connecting are set out in ESR 73A.
That includes not only sighting (or issuing) CoC(s) & RoI(s) that cover all the parts of the installation that have been worked on; but also
ensuring that the required testing has been carried out.
In the case of HRPEW, as per ESR 71, obviously the Inspector can't issue a CoC.
Nor can they have undertaken "the testing required by these regulations"; which is covered by the CoC under the declaration that the work has been done 'lawfully and safely" . ESR 66(2)(b) makes clear that the CoC certifies that the required testing has been done.
Back to ESR 73A, where (1)(b) requires the person connecting to be satisfied that the testing has been done.
Then (3) goes further; and requires signed documentation of the test results in any case where the testing wasn't done by the person connecting. Which sets the bar for being "satisfied"; and means persons connecting can't rely on the CoC alone as evidence of testing having been done.

Having required sighting of CoC / RoI, plus written test results; ESR 73A then requires the person connecting to undertake specific additional testing as per (1)(e).

But nothing in all that makes the person connecting responsible for matters of compliance detail.
Remember that for a new installation; the person connecting is just as likely to be a line mechanic, or a meter installer operating under an employer licence; as someone who could be expected to know about the detailed rules for swbd location or any other aspect.

That said, EWRB have formed some strange interpretations in the past.
Including believing that an Inspector should check that the details on the CoC are accurate; including that the person issuing the CoC actually has a current PL (never mid that an inspector is only required to check PEW that's high risk, and issuing a CoC is not high risk PEW).
So there's no telling how they would interpret this sort of thing of it came to a complaint hearing.
Dan L

Post by Dan L »

Thanks for the info much appreciated.

I suppose it will come down to the situation and how bad it is

In my particular situation the multiple units all have their main switchboards inside a cupboard that does not comply with 2.9. 2.5

I have noted changes that need to be made on roi and have sent an email to electrician as a record.

I know these don't satisfy any regulations but if a complaint was made at least they woukd know I informed electrician.
AlecK

Post by AlecK »

I think that's a reasonable approach.