JamieP

Main Switches being readily accessable

Post by JamieP »

"1.4.2 Accessible, readily
Capable of being reached quickly and without climbing over or
removing obstructions, mounting upon a chair, or using a movable
ladder, and in any case not more than 2.0 m above the ground, floor or
platform."

I know it's something that you'd probably never get pulled up on but most of not all domestic switchboards have door or covers these days, wouldn't they technically be obstructions making main switches no longer classed as readily accessable when behind them?

Just curious of peoples thought on this if they disagree or agree but just think it's something that would never be picked at
Daniel2
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Main Switches being readily accessable

Post by Daniel2 »

I would consider a door that's hinged (like a PDL DBF30) is easily accessible, as opposed to a switchboard that has a metallic door (more so a commercial switchboard) that is lockable or accessible using a tool.
gregmcc
Site Admin

Post by gregmcc »

I think this is more aimed at switchboard rooms been re purposed as a storage room/cleaners room etc.
AlecK
Answers: 5

Post by AlecK »

2.3.3.3 (currently cited edition) requires ALL main switches to be readily accessible. This includes domestic.
The ONLY Exception is for installations of a few specific types that are located on public land.

So the issue is whether a typical domestic swbd door either as supplied ex-factory or for a cupboard built over an old fixed panel, fits the requirement "readily accessible".
Like DougP, I don't thing a door that can be easily opened without tool counts as an obstruction; but a locked door would.
And having materials stored behind the door would, too.

As does the far-too-common practice of people appropriating switchboard cupboards / rooms as storage spaces for cleaners supplies, fluo tubes, and other materials
JamieP

Post by JamieP »

Yeah, I was just curious what people thought for the sake of discussion but sound like everyone seems to agree