TUDS without Breach Joint solution in a private site

Also includes Works
Tiger
Been thanked: 0

TUDS without Breach Joint solution in a private site

Post by Tiger »

Hi,

I have a question about how Vector would think of the TUDS without breach Joint Solution in a private site.

TUDS (Total Underground Distribution System)
https://www.transnet.co.nz/shop/Pillars ... Joint.html

The townhouses are getting more and more popular among the developers. There are general two ways to supply power for the dwellings. One of them is Vector just provides one 160amp/3phase connection and the developer arranges the private power pit for the dwellings.

In this case, a site with 9 new dwellings (160amp/3phase) for example, normally the mains cable will be 4C 120mm2 aluminum XLPE cable and it lays through the site. There will be 3 new private power pit. for each power pit of the first two power pits, the breach kit will be used and the branch mains cable (4C 25mm2 copper XLPE cable) connect the mains (4C 120mm2 aluminum XLPE cable) through the breach kit and get into the new power pit, eventaully connect to the mains to each house.

There are pros and cons about the solution.

My question is,

Instead of using the breach kit, can I cut the mains cable (4C 120mm2 aluminum XLPE cable) in the middle and put them both into the new power pit and connect them with Gelports inside the pit, like a loop in the pit? I checked with Transnet and they confirm it is totally fine for them and products are good for the purpose as long as I use a bigger pit, a modular pit for example, to allow more space for the cable and electrician/inspector.

But as far as I know, Vector may not like the idea to have the connector in the pit? And they do not like the gelport connector for the phase cable? While on the other hand, the private power pit is not the property of Vector, as long as the products TUDS are capable of doing the job, I do not worry about what Vector would say about this?

The inspectors who do the permanent connection are certifided by Vector, what if they say no to this new idea?

Thanks for your thoughts in advance.

Regards,
Tiger