Connection at pole/plinth fuse

Also includes Works
tumeke
Answers: 0
Been thanked: 0

Connection at pole/plinth fuse

Post by tumeke »

Hi guys - who terminates a mains at the load side of a plinth/pole fuse. Is it an inspector?
Is an inspector also allowed to pull a plinth/pole fuse? Can an electrician do this?
I know the homeowner is responsible for the cabling from the pole/plinth so assume they wouldn't engage Vector (or the equivalent) to do this.

Another question - who re-seals meters if the seal is cut to terminate a new mains? Do you need to get a metering company out to verify and re-seal?

Thanks a lot!
gregmcc
Site Admin

Re: Connection at pole/plinth fuse

Post by gregmcc »

Generally the network company arranges connection at the pole/plinth, it could be their network connection team it could be subcontracted out to another company, basically the pole/plinth belongs to the network company so they says who does the connection there
AlecK
Answers: 5

Post by AlecK »

Sometimes the person doing the connection may hold an "Inspector" PL; but it's not "inspection of PEW" [ESR 70], nor any of the other actions that require an "Inspector PL; so they are not acting as an "Inspector".
They're acting as "person connecting" [ESR 73A].
and gregmcc is correct that the network decides who is allowed to access their equipment for any purpose.
Generally no such authorisation will be given unless the person has been trained and inducted into that network's procedures.

Similarly meter seals should never be cut without authorisation from the meter owner - sometimes a retailer, but these days more often a metering equipment provider (MEP).
MEPs are required to maintain the equipment in calibration and certified as correctly installed; and there's a label showing who last certified the metering and when.
In some cases the sealing tool has a unique ID that gets embossed into the seal; and this also makes it traceable to the person who holds that sealing tool.
If the seal is cut; the metering has to be re-certified - and whoever cut the seal can expect an invoice.
Sneath
Been thanked: 0

Post by Sneath »

Question leading on from above, if a live polarity test is undertaken ( using independent earth, trailing lead, and a voltmeter) and transposition of conductors is found, can the service fuse be removed by the electrician for safety reason if accessible?
gregmcc
Site Admin

Post by gregmcc »

As an electrician you have a duty of care to leave it in a safe condition, as normally you would not be allowed access to the service fuse - Ring the network company, Personally if it was me and I could reasonably access the service fuse without damaging the pillar I would remove the fuse and advise the network company, any network company that kicked up a fuss because of that situation would have a losing battle on their hands.
Dan L

Post by Dan L »

I work on the Orion network as an inspector/ livening agent / meter Tech

For us for a connection supplied from pole fuse the line mechanics will install fuse and connect load side and leave fuse for me to put in after inspection etc. ( not technically the way it should be done but that's how it is)

For the metering electrician can break seal or do what ever they want but must inform retailer ASAP. Depending on work done a meter Tech or if high risk work has been done then an inspector required to inspect / reseal.

Last I heard on Orion network electricians can pull service fuses at pole or pillar just not link boxes but other networks may differ
AlecK
Answers: 5

Post by AlecK »

- connecting to (network owned) supply fuse
- installing, resealing meters
These actions are not inspection of high risk PEW, and are also not otherwise restricted to being done by someone holding an "Inspector" PL.

Anything to do with network assets is governed by ESR 35.
Basically you need to be authorised by the particular network before doing anything on their assets, including supply fuses.

Anything to do with metering is controlled by the owner of the metering equipment; and again you need to be authorised.
Once a seal is broken, they need to not only re-seal but re-certify the metering installation.

Holding an "Inspector" PL does not provide either of these authorisations.
So technically wrong to refer to them as being done by an "inspector".
That said, they will in many cases be carried out by someone who has an "Inspector" PL; who may or may not also have other duties on the same site.
Including, maybe, some actual inspection.
gregmcc
Site Admin

Post by gregmcc »

Typically in the past network companies had their own inspectors who would do this kind of work, this has kind of followed through to today's work, except that most network companies authorize a contractor who has an inspector on staff to do this.
While most this work could be done by a line worker, or even an electrician, typically the network companies don't have electricians on staff or available, they do have line workers, but my experience has told me that line workers are good at line work only, and as soon as a problem arises they are not able to problem solve effectively like an electrician or inspector.
Dan L

Post by Dan L »

Yes I understand that even though an inspector may do all these roles technically after the inspection hanging the meter is song a role of a meter Tech and livening is the role of a livening agent or person connecting but was just giving input of how things are actually done.