Inspection of non-accessable items

JamieP
Answers: 0

Inspection of non-accessable items

Post by JamieP »

(3) A person who inspects high-risk prescribed electrical work must undertake
whatever tests, visual inspection, or other actions are necessary to satisfy the
person that—
(a) that work has been done in accordance with these regulations; and
(b) the installation or part installation on which that work has been done is,
and will be when enlivened, electrically safe.

How does this work when you're usually called to a site nearing the end of things?

For example, mains cables enclosed in walls, how can we verify compliance without being able to view the whole cable? Do we just note this? Or refuse unless able to actually view all of the cable? Same situation for underground in regards to depth or burial, protections, bedding etcetc I understand you can dig a portion but without viewing the whole thing how can you be sure?

The main concern for my question is mainly around mains cables pulled into underground ducts, often under concrete surfaces, how can we as an inspector, know if these parts are suitable at this late stage? Often the ducts aren't even installed by the electrician as I've brought up in previous posts

Do we simply check what we can at the time? Or is the option to physically check or decline?
AlecK
Answers: 5

Re: Inspection of non-accessable items

Post by AlecK »

What it takes to "satisfy" any Inspector is up to that Inspector.

Personally I'd expect a minimum of photographic evidence from anyone i didn't already have a high level of trust in.

When you issue an RoI that says "it complies, and will be safe when enlivened"; you're formally accepting responsibility - and liability for the work.
Not complete responsibility / liability; but a good degree of it.
If the work turns out not to be right, you could have to defend your RoI before the Board, in District Court, or before a Coroner.
Comes down to how much risk you want to accept - and whether your insurers will cover you for adopting a soft line.

If you are not "satisfied" on all points, you have only one choice:
- require the certifier / installer / person requesting inspection to "satisfy" you (which may mean opening things up).
PeteRig

Post by PeteRig »

Good question Jamie, I believe we should charge for multiple visits like building inspectors do, this could also be the same for PV installs
Cheers Peter
Slovett

Post by Slovett »

I've often wondered the same thing - Especially with Mains Cables running inside External Walls. A lot of homes are fully insulating the Garage walls and ceilings these days. For example - How do we know (without cutting into the wall after the house is completed) that a 16mm 1core Neutral screen which has a 63A HRC at the network pillar (99% of all Electricians in the area I work in use as the Overload protection and Short circuit protection for the Mains) is not completely surrounded by thermal Insulation. I know the installation guidelines for the installation of thermal insulation is to not fully surround cables etc. but Ive seen it done (and have photos) in multiple installations.

Do we then just make a call and say all 16mm Mains Cable now has to have a 40A MCB at the Main SwitchBoard (for Overload protection) unless the Electrician can Prove without doubt that the Cables are not fully surrounded?

I guess as you say, its up to the Inspector to be Satisfied with what they are Inspecting
AlecK
Answers: 5

Post by AlecK »

Yes, we certainly have to be aware of the possibility that mains may need to be de-rated for BTI.
Same applies when spray foam is injected into walls; something to watch for when assessing / reporting on existing installations.

Networks are required to provide s/c & fault protection for mains; but overload os down to the installer.
and you're right that many installers just rely on supply fuse, and don't think about whether it's low enough to cover de-rating.

So all that remains is for each Inspector to decide whether they are satisfied on this point; case by case.
If you have regular customers as an Inspector, talk to them about it.
And make them understand that if you have to open the wall (or whatever) up to check, the cost gets added to the bull for inspection.

No different from u/g cables being at proper depth, and having requited mechanical protection