I would like to become an inspector

WireWizard
Been thanked: 0

I would like to become an inspector

Post by WireWizard »

Hey everyone, I want to become an inspector. I want to get a feel for how aggressively I should pursue this in the near future, or if it's something I should wait a few more years. I want some general advice, so I'll preface with a bit of background. Sorry, this post will be sorta long.

I have nearly 10 years in the industry - first few years doing substation work, the rest doing commercial and residential with a little industrial. Pretty well rounded, motors is the only key area I have limited experience in. I have been registered nearly five years, self employed for 2.5. In my first 3 years being qualified I really honed my craft and figured out what standards of quality I would stick to. Quit two jobs with small electrical firms when I was first registered because I was unhappy with the shortcuts and quality compromises they wanted me to make (very much a hangover from my Transpower days where quality was paramount). I nearly went broke because I wouldn't compromise on safety or quality. Point being, I really care about what I do and how I do it. I spent like 2 hours every day in my first year of self employment poring through the old electrical forum researching the finer points of our trade (thanks AlecK). I sleep soundly knowing that I have upheld the regulations and my own personal standards of quality, without fail.

So, the next step is to become an inspector. Problem is, I'm 26. Am I too young to apply? I heard that age is a considerable factor (for obvious reasons). Also, as a self employed person, how do I get relevant references (or one sponsor as my '7 year registered' inspector tells me). I thought it was six industry references? I have had maybe 10 or 12 inspections in the last 2 years and the two inspectors I use always comment on the quality of my boards. I have heaps of pictures of my boards including play-by-play photo sequences on my facebook business page showing my methodology (to help train apprentices, and to show off my work). The bulk of the electrical people (employers, management, supervisors) I could use for references aren't from recent times and arent really relevant therefore I don't know if I can use them or not. Like any of us, I have a dozens of electricians who will testify to my integrity and quality when it comes to my work, but does it count if it's not coming from a supervisor or manager? I can get at least two or three good ones from a one year stint as a subby on a big commercial government job, but the rest are just electricians. Is that enough? Is there some kind of interview process where I state my case?

I found out that I have to do a 2 week inspector course at ARA and then do the exam, which is all fine. I'll get onto those at my next available opportunity. In the mean time, what should I be doing to make me a more eligible inspector candidate to the board?
gregmcc
Site Admin

Re: I would like to become an inspector

Post by gregmcc »

You don't have to do anything above and beyond the mandated requirements

1 - Pass the Inspectors theory and piratical exams.
2 - Meet the good character requirements (same as any other class of registration)
3 - Pay the prescribed fee.
4 - Have the minimum 3 years exp. as an electrician.
5 - Submit the application and necessary paperwork
6 - Wait (for what seems like an eternity) while it is processed.

I couldn't see any reason for a valid application to be rejected unless there is some negative history between you and the EWRB. It's all about proving your competency to do inspections
JamieP

Post by JamieP »

Is it possible to sit the inspectors exams before having the 3 years post qualification experience? As in can you pass them in advance and then wait to apply until you clock over the 3 years experience?

Is there any time limit on how long the inspectors exams last?
WireWizard
Been thanked: 0

Post by WireWizard »

Good info . . . I had heard about the EWRB denying requests from young applicants simply because of their age. Glad to hear its more straighforward than I thought
gregmcc
Site Admin

Post by gregmcc »

JamieP wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 1:57 pm
Is it possible to sit the inspectors exams before having the 3 years post qualification experience? As in can you pass them in advance and then wait to apply until you clock over the 3 years experience?

Is there any time limit on how long the inspectors exams last?
Yes you can, when I was doing mine that's exactly what one of the guys was doing.

As far as I know there is no time limit between passing the exams and actually becoming registered as an inspector, although the EWRB may decide that X number of years is too long and the things taught then aren't relevant now, please re-do exams or competency.

I was disappointment by the EWRB it was basically "here is your new I-number - see you later" I didn't really know what to expect, maybe some kind of mini guide book, like look out for these common issues, do's and don't s, useful information , list of associations of inspectors groups etc. but nothing.
These users thanked the author gregmcc for the post:
JamieP (Sun May 24, 2020 9:03 pm)
Rating: 16.67%
AlecK
Answers: 5

Post by AlecK »

I suspect the "requirement" to attend the course before sitting the exam comes from the course provider rather than being an EWRB requirement.

Over the years a number of training institutions have offers "inspector" courses, generally as a lead-up to the exam.
But as far as I know all of them have concentrated on the "rules", ie what's likely to be in the exam.
And even then, limited to ESRs + 3000; not covering the specialty areas in any detail if at all.
Basically a cram-course on the rules around inspection.
I am not aware of any course that has included the practicalities of how to actually go about the inspection process.

EWRB will be looking not just at how long you've been working as an electrician; but what your range of experience is.
These users thanked the author AlecK for the post:
WireWizard (Sat May 30, 2020 10:20 pm)
Rating: 16.67%