Tests completed by inspector

WireWizard
Answers: 0
Been thanked: 0

Tests completed by inspector

Post by WireWizard »

Inspector testing regime.

Hi guys, I did a mains replacement the other day. Inspector came a week later and I was chatting to him and asked if he would IR test between N and A.

He said he wouldn't, because he was only inspecting MY certified work. I was surprised to hear this when I had installed an entirely new mains cable (maintenance making it low risk was NOT his explanation). The rest of his testing was thorough as you would expect.

I think it should be tested, but I understand the the probability of a low result is almost neglible too, so I can understand why he doesn't. Breaking the meter seal was not his reasoning either.

Anyway, keen to hear what you all think about leaving out the IR test.
AlecK
Answers: 5

Re: Tests completed by inspector

Post by AlecK »

8.3.6.1 says you should have done this test (or at least ensured that it was done).
Basically issuing a CoC says that all required testing has been carried out.
And you'd need to do it at a stage where any external influences (eg meters) didn't upset the reading.

As replacement of fitting (mains cable), no third-party inspection required by ESRs;
but for work where inspection is required, the inspector must do enough inspection / testing to satisfy them selves as per ESR 70 (3).
In satisfying him / herself; nothing allows an inspector to rely on certification.
Some may be more easily satisfied than others, but it's the Inspector's decision.
WireWizard
Answers: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Tests completed by inspector

Post by WireWizard »

Thanks for the reply AlecK.
I had tested before the meter reseal, but because the customer requested the reseal themselves, it somehow bypassed the point where an inspection would have been usually added to the job (I use the metering company to do the inspection and specically request them from the retailer). I was worried my inspector was going to break the seal which was why I specifically asked if he would repeat the IR on mains A and N that i had already completed and certified.