ESR 71(4) Inspection of prescribed electrical work

Whk_Tech
Been thanked: 0

ESR 71(4) Inspection of prescribed electrical work

Post by Whk_Tech »

ESR 71(4)
"The person who inspects a new installation must ensure that he or she is given a copy of any declaration of conformity relating to the work, and must retain the declaration for 3 years."

Meaning the inspector must collect the relevant document from the installing electrician for every electrical component installed in the installation????.

Thoughts? :roll:
AlecK
Answers: 5

Re: ESR 71(4) Inspection of prescribed electrical work

Post by AlecK »

Only if the certifier has "relied' on that document.
Whk_Tech

Post by Whk_Tech »

ok thanks AlecK. Where abouts do we find the reference for that?
AlecK
Answers: 5

Post by AlecK »

That was an off-the-cuff response, based in assumption your quite was accurate and the way the system for certification has been designed in general. Ie that certifiers "may" rely on documents; eg previous CoCs [ESR 65 (5)]`, SDoCs [ESR 83 (3A)].
and that these documents (only) need to be attached to a CoC if they are "used" in the course of doing the work [ESR 66(1)(d)]
Since there's no requirement for an installer or a certifier to sight, let alone have copies of, such documents;
the only way an SDoC , or an Approval, or MIs, can be "used in the course of the work" is if they they are relied on by the certifier.

However it seems your quote is not correct; or rather comes from an obsolete ESR.
There is no ESR 71(4) - which sent me hunting back through the library to find the words.
You've quoted an out-of date requirement, relating to the 'declaration of conformity' for the design that used to be a requirement (of then ESR 58) before any PEW was undertaken .Those requirements were revoked in the 2012 amendment; which replaced the 'declaration of conformity for design' with the system of "certified designs" we have now.

The change was made because designers generally simply refused to supply the DoCs, because they didn't want to accept responsibility for the safety and compliance of there designs. Those installers who tried to comply got told "just do it, or you'll never get another chance to quote"
Many caved into this commercial pressure, and (illegally) went ahead with PEW.

Since the 3-year "keeping" period for any inspections carried out under that old regime has long passed, there can be no current relevance.

So let me withdraw my initial response; and instead suggest you get hold of a copy of the current ESRs.
These users thanked the author AlecK for the post:
Whk_Tech (Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:42 pm)
Rating: 16.67%
Whk_Tech

Post by Whk_Tech »

Thanks AlecK. Interesting that I had a copy that old as I do not think it had been that long downloaded from Standards NZ. Anyway, got it now..... cheers :roll: