Transportable Construction Site Shed

PeteRig
Answers: 0

Transportable Construction Site Shed

Post by PeteRig »

Hi guys, does a transportable construction shed on a construction site connected by an appliance inlet required a WoEF as per AS/NZS 3001 appendix C, I believe so?

When reading AS/NZS 3012, clause 2.9 says the transportable structure must comply with AS/NZS 3001 and 3.4.1 in AS/NZS 3012 the initial verification shall be verified (inspected and tested) in accordance with AS/NZS 3000 following initial installation.

Then 3.4.2 of AS/NZS 3012 has about periodic verification and a suitable form in appendix I and also refers you to table 7 for verification intervals etc but there is no mention about the WoEF, is this just taken care of under clause 2.9 of 3012 when it refers to AS/NZS 3001?

Thanks
AlecK
Answers: 5

Re: Transportable Construction Site Shed

Post by AlecK »

Short answer: yes, a current WoEF is required when connecting a "plug-&-play" site hut.

-----------------
Compliance with "3012" is not mandatory; the citation is in ESR 25 which days a construction / demolition site's installation is deemed to be safe if it complies with the Standard.
That's the installation of the site, not the installation being installed into a new building or removed from an existing one.
What "3012" calls "construction wiring"; installed only for the duration of the construction / demolition work.

However ESR 75 requires this construction wiring to be periodically assessed, by an Inspector, i.a.w "3012"
(meaning 2010 edition, as per schedule 2)
So the periodic verification (of construction wiring)parts of "3012" are mandatory; with the interval for construction wiring being 6 months.
This includes the supply to any transportable structures, but not the transportable structures themselves - ie up to the socket outlet but not past the plug of the supply lead.
True there's a reference in clause 3.4.2 to the form that's in Appendix I; but that's about a '"construction and demolition certificate", and the form is called a "certificate of verification". Neither of those terms relates correctly to ESR 75; so they're best just ignored.
We only have to use the form on the relevant Standard IF it's a form for a "record of assessment" [ESR 75(4A)]

In latest edition (2019 + A1), the table is Table 6, but the intervals remain the same.
Appendix I has become Appendix G; and it has a "Record of Assessment" form for use. So once citations are updated in ESRs use of this form will be mandatory. Meantime it's available for use, and since it's been approved by Energy safety as meeting their 'expectations' as well as the requirements in ESR 75, there's really no good reason not to use it.
There's no checklist - yet. But since detailed guidance for carrying out PA of caravan parks and marinas has been provided for a long time, there's little doubt it will be added to '3012" next amendment.

PA under ESR 75 does not apply to the portable stuff, including any transportable structures.
So while Table 3 states 6-monthly check of transportable structures and 3-monthlty check of other portable equipment; that's just guidance for WHS, not requirements.

However transportable structures connected by detachable connection meet the definition of "connectable installation" (combination of definitions in Act & ESRs); and therefore they must have a current WoEF before it's lawful to connect them to a supply [ESR 76]
PeteRig
Answers: 0

Re: Transportable Construction Site Shed

Post by PeteRig »

Thanks Alec, great answer as usual!