When do COC/ROI/ESC become active

Dan L
Answers: 0

When do COC/ROI/ESC become active

Post by Dan L »

Bit of a strange question but at which point does a ROI become active.

Is it when the last peice of required Information is filled out as per esr 72 for example the signature

Or when I give copy to electrician.

Same for coc and ESC

Reason I ask is for me I I prefer to fill out all my paperwork in the morning. I only leave out test results which I add after iv done the tests.

If a job fails I will destroy the paperwork.

Is this bad practice or harmless.?
gregmcc
Site Admin
Answers: 0

Re: When do COC/ROI/ESC become active

Post by gregmcc »

Personally if it's a fail then you should be keeping the ROI, It may just one day save you.

As far as when the COC/ROI/ESC becomes active, very good question, I would say once dated and signed.
AlecK
Answers: 5

Re: When do COC/ROI/ESC become active

Post by AlecK »

I agree that unless / until dated & signed, it's just a bit of paper and not (officially) any of the forms of certificate.
And for ESC (but not CoC or (RoI); the date of issue starts the clock for providing copies - same as the date of connection starts the clock for issuing.

According to EWRB; any required item missing makes such documents invalid;
but that's not yet been tested in a real Court of law, and could be that rather than being an invalid document it isn't anything.

Also agree about keeping documentation for failed RoIs.
ESRs require an RoI to be issued regardless of "pass" or "fail"; and that's reinforced by the required info [ESR 72] including "whether" the work has been done i.a.w ESRs, and "whether" it will be safe.
The word "whether" always carries an "or not", even when the "or not" isn't specifically stated.

However nobody likes being seen as an enforcer against the people who engage our services; better to be seen as a helper.
And reporting "fails" would only trigger more (unpaid) work if followed up by ES or EWRB.
So a lot of us avoid the problem of "failing" by just declaring that our inspection is not yet complete - and come back to finish it once errors have been corrected.