Solar Off Grid ELV - High risk or not?

JamieP

Solar Off Grid ELV - High risk or not?

Post by JamieP »

I see this come up often

No mains parallel
Definitely a PV installation

So the defining factor on being high risk is whether it's PEW or not, I see a lot of people agree if it's a ELV system then it's not PEW but just reading "are intended solely for connection to, or are associated solely
with, electricity supplies not exceeding extra-low voltage;" and I'm curious on views around the fact that the PCE will produce a LV supply and due to the PV array, PCE and LV installation all being connected would this still meet the definition of not being PEW? Or would this in fact be PEW and in turn make the off grid installation high risk?
These users thanked the author JamieP for the post:
Peter (Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:06 pm)
Rating: 16.67%
AlecK
Answers: 5

Re: Solar Off Grid ELV - High risk or not?

Post by AlecK »

Yes it all hinges on those words "associated with".
I agree with you; to me there's a direct association between the ELV input to an inverter and the output
Regardless of ELV source: could be battery, micro-hydro, PV, or anything else.
To me the fact of having an inverter creates an association between the ELV and the LV.

However Energy Safety have a different view; treating the PV as a separate entity.
Which can be seen as true if we mentally separate the array from the ELV wiring from the ELV input to the inverter.
In which case the array stops at the array output, and doesn't include the downlead.
Following that logic; the ELV side is treated as not "associated with" the LV output of the inverter;
but instead is only connected to / associated with some ELV installation wiring;
and then the ELV wiring is in turn connected to / associated with the input to an inverter.

From the ES viewpoint; all the ELV installation wiring is not PEW (unless in medical or hazardous area).
However it must still comply with "3000".
Same for the array.
And if it's not PEW on an installation; then it doesn't have a risk classification under ESR 6A
These users thanked the author AlecK for the post:
PeteRig

Post by PeteRig »

https://www.worksafe.govt.nz/about-us/n ... v-systems/

This link has been around for a few years now, from Worksafe.
These users thanked the author PeteRig for the post:
JamieP

Post by JamieP »

Just a further point in regards to this I believe most PCEs these days are transformerless which as discussed above makes the views of this not being PEW less and less of a logical argument, there is no physical separation in the PCE between input and output which even moreso feels like the ELV side is definitely associated with the LV side but still a view many accept as correct