ESR 78D (2)(c) Periodic Assessments in Quarries and Alluvial Mining

JamieP

ESR 78D (2)(c) Periodic Assessments in Quarries and Alluvial Mining

Post by JamieP »

Who is authorised to inspect mining electrical equipment?

I can't find anything clear in the limits of work.
I know the obvious answer is a mining endorsed inspector and by all means probably the best person for the job but in terms of Regulations could a standard inspect do this for a quarrying operation or alluvial mining operation where a mining electrical endorsement is not needed hence me thinking maybe a non-mining endorsed electrical inspector could maybe do periodic inspections in these areas under ESRs provided they have the competencies.
JamesM
Been thanked: 0

Re: ESR 78D (2)(c) Periodic Assessments in Quarries and Alluvial Mining

Post by JamesM »

Hi JamieP,

The EWRB’s direction regarding the limits to electrical work appear to make it clear that an Inspector who does not have a Mining Endorsement cannot do the Inspection – see https://www.ewrb.govt.nz/for-registered ... s-of-work/ for Electrical Inspector section "j"
JamieP

Post by JamieP »

But quarrying operations and alluvial mining operations don't require a mining endorsement to work as an electrician.

It's only mining operations and the above two are not mining operations. All are defined in the HSWA 2015 under Shedule 3.

Hence why I'm wondering if a competent non-mining endorsed inspector could do a periodic inspection on these sites?
AlecK
Answers: 5

Post by AlecK »

Mining electrical equipment (MEE) is defined in ESR 4; and includes equipment in alluvial, mining, and quarrying operations.

ESR78D (5) says the person who does the PA of MEE on must be authorised to inspect MEE.
Note that PA is not PEW.
However being authorised to carry out inspection of MEE is the pre-requisite for carrying out this type of PA.

The only way you get to be so authorised is via a PL
the specifics of what work is authorised for any PL being the limits of work set by EWRB for that class of PL.

A non-endorsed Inspector PL does not authorise inspection of MEE.
In fact all forms of PEW in mining etc are specifically excluded
Therefore the holder is not authorised to carry out PA of any MEE.