Is a rocker switch able to installed horizontally?

Connection and Repair
Mazdaman

Is a rocker switch able to installed horizontally?

Post by Mazdaman »

This has been discussed a long time ago I think however I forgot the answer. Is the PDL647 (40A oven switch) able to be installed horizontally?

I have a 90cm F&P oven with induction cook top to wire in to a renovation. Max load is 63A so am using the allowed 40A figure (Table C4). The splash back is not being replaced and has a horizontally mounted 600 series 32A for the existing oven. So I need to fit a horizontal 40A+ switch.

Clipsal do one in Australia 2031H45 (Single-pole 250V, 45A, horizontal, marked ‘COOKER’ - 2000 Series) but it is not available in New Zealand.

So is it OK to fit the vertical PDL647 horizontally? It has a red indicator when in the 'on' position.

We have no problem with old distribution boards where the main switch is 'down=on' and happily fit modern MCB's next to it where 'down=off'.

On the same job, reading 4.7.2 do I need to fit a 'socket-outlet or installation coupler'? The cooker has adjustable legs, not wheels and has the cabinets, kick board and sink bench fitted hard up to the cooker. It is not readily removable without removing sealant and the kick board. So is it safe to assume this meets the requirements of built-in?

Thanks for any help.
Mazdaman

Re: Is a rocker switch able to installed horizontally?

Post by Mazdaman »

Further to the topic - Schneider Customer Care replied that the PDL647 cannot be installed horizontally and referred to their page here: https://www.se.com/nz/en/faqs/FA172044/. But there is no explanation.

Interlec Australia Pty Ltd replied that yes, they can send me items. In the 45A 'cooker' range they have 2 choices, both $40.75 Aussie dollars:

Clipsal CLI2031H45WE ELEC RANGE SW HORIZONTAL 250V 45A COOKER

Iconic CLIP3-04145XW Switch Vertical/Horizontal Cooker SP 45A 250V ICONIC

Express Courier is $32. ETA is about 8 days.

So the plan now is to go ahead and install the 10mm 2C+E TPS while the kitchen is in bits but keep using the existing 6mm supply, oven switch and 32A MCB until the 45A switch arrives and is installed along with a 40A MCB. The customer understands that they will have limited load use of the new cooker but are fine with that.
gregmcc
Site Admin

Post by gregmcc »

the alternative is to install a contactor in the switchboard and have a control switch mounted in the position you want for the oven
Mazdaman

Post by Mazdaman »

Agree, it's an alternative but a last resort I think. It's a full 30 way DB (20m away) and I would not trust a din rail mounted contactor in there so it require an external box. The contactor coil would be energised full-time so will eventually fail. Unlikely, but if the contacts welded together there's no indication that the contactor has not opened on all poles other than the oven clock going off. With a switch at least one can 'feel' if it is dodgy.

While looking through the rules for guidance regarding the orientation of switches:

Devices for Isolating (2.3.2.2.1) (c) requires 'clearly and reliably indicate the isolation position of the device...' No mention of orientation. The device labels indicate on and off, same as a MCB on a DB with an old style main switch.
AlecK
Answers: 5

Post by AlecK »

There is no rule about orientation of either isolating or functional switches.
Noting that the switch required by 4.7.1 is a functional switch.
So nothing non-compliant with having 'rocker' or 'lever' action switches operation side-2-side rather than traditional up / down.
I suspect the Schneider info relates to aesthetics; so is true in the dense that it's designed / intended for vertical 'higher-than-wide' orientation and doesn't come in a 'wider-than high' format.

I would not regard the situation described, sealed to adjacent cabinets and with permanently fitted kick-board, as being a "freestanding" cooking appliance; so 4.7.2 doesn't apply.
These users thanked the author AlecK for the post:
Mazdaman (Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:00 pm)
Rating: 16.67%
gregmcc
Site Admin

Post by gregmcc »

As an alternative, the contactor could be installed in an enclosure in the ceiling space above the kitchen. Or in a corner of a kitchen cupboard, depending on the physical size of the contactor you may even be able to squeeze it in to the flush box.
These users thanked the author gregmcc for the post:
Mazdaman (Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:00 pm)
Rating: 16.67%